reynje

Hilary T. Smith
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Bryan Peterson

Away (The Line, #2)

Away (The Line, #2) - Teri Hall 2.5 starsI’m not really sure what to say about this book. On one hand, I did actually enjoy this a fraction more than The Line. On the other, it was a case of “more of the same” in terms of the writing, pacing and overall issues I had with the first book. Away picks up the story shortly after the conclusion of the The Line. Rachel has Crossed and is living with the Others in their camp. Vivian and Mrs Moore are back on the Property, unsure whether they have been betrayed. Rachel finds out that her father is alive and is being held captive by another group of Others. But honestly, I just found both of these books far too thin and flat to really hold my interest. The prose is impersonal and distancing, told in third person and leaping from viewpoint to viewpoint of the various characters. Again, we are told what each of these characters are feeling, but it doesn’t translate into engaging storytelling. The characters purportedly feel pain, loss, love, hope – yet it all felt blandly monotone to me. For such a captivating premise, I also wish the world had been better fleshed out. The scant detail provided about the way of life of the Others raises more questions and than are answered. The ending itself was outright abrupt and rang strangely hollow, which is an odd sensation after the investment of reading the two books in their entirety. I’m unsure whether there is going to be a third book in the series, but the ending of Away doesn’t really provide closure, nor does it linger all that much. But onto what you really want to know. What about the sheep-cats?They do, in fact, exist on the other side of the Line. But I was expecting something like, maybe, this:or, this:The “sheep-cats” of rumour turn out to be Woollies, which are described as something like a woolly lynx. Disappointing. That said, Nipper was my favourite character of the book. He definitely exhibited the most personality, in my opinion. For all the promise of the synopsis, I ultimately felt somewhat underwhelmed by both The Line and Away. However, as a lower YA dystopia, they are adequately thought-provoking and offer a slightly different take a sobering situation.