reynje

Hilary T. Smith
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Bryan Peterson

Hana (Delirium, #1.5)

Hana (Delirium, #1.5) - Lauren Oliver I think I've said it before, but I guess it bears repeating - Lauren Oliver can write. While her style in Delirium and this companion short story from Hana's perspective is rather more flowery/florid than I usually enjoy, I won't dispute that she certainly has a way with words. As with Delirium, Hana is once again heavy on the emotional metaphors and similes. Painstaking attention is given to heartbeats, aching throats, unshed tears, longing.. which is fine except I find it does begin to get a little tedious having every physical and emotional response spelled out in poetic detail. I'd say that this addendum to Oliver's trilogy is strictly for the fans - while there was a "surprise" at it's conclusion, I can't say that this story particularly enriched my reading experience or heightened my anticipation for the release of Pandemonium.What it did do, however, was allow me to finally determine why the premise of this series fundamentally doesn't work for me. Had the world of Delirium been one in which whole chunks, or even the entire spectrum of human emotion were removed from its citizens, I think I could more readily suspend my belief. It's the idea that "love" can be singularly isolated and excised that I can't wrap my head around. And I think this is because I can't help but view "love" as an amalgamation of emotions, too braided up in other mental and emotional responses (trust, respect, anxiety, whatever - take your pick), to make the idea of it being something that can be clearly removed a little too ridiculous for me to get behind. Having said all that, if you enjoyed the concept and style of Delirium, this may be worth a read.