reynje

Wild Awake
Hilary T. Smith
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Bryan Peterson

The Montmaray Journals: Bk. 2 (Montmaray Journals Book 2)

The FitzOsbornes in Exile - Michelle Cooper 3.5 starsIn lieu of, or until I write a proper review, I thought I’d write a recommendation for the Montmaray books (and yes, I’m aware that I’m cheating here by incorporating books 1 and 2 into one review..)You may enjoy A Brief History of Montmaray and The FitzOsbornes in Exile if you like reading about / are a fan of / are interested in:Dodie Smith’s I Capture the CastleMeticulously researched historical fiction Holy-Grail-hunting FascistsUnrequited loveThe Spanish Civil WarPicasso’s Guernica Epistolary novelsFictional, poverty-stricken monarchies with eccentric kingsThe League of NationsPolitical intrigue/machinations1930s high society, scheming and scandalsCloudy weather with a chance of warCastle-dwelling families The FitzOsbornes in Exile in particular is history-heavy, but thanks to a plot that gains steady momentum, it avoids being dry or overly weighed down with the facts. The high volume of information is counter-balanced nicely by characters that are interesting and well-drawn. Recommended for history buffs and/or people who like their historical fiction with a fanciful twist – which sounds like a terrible oxymoron, but I promise it’s not.