reynje

Hilary T. Smith
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Bryan Peterson

172 Hours on the Moon

172 Hours on the Moon - Tara F. Chace, Johan Harstad 2.5 starsI don’t feel great about this rating, but I’ve got to be honest – this book left me pretty cold. It’s possible that a large part of this was going into the book already knowing what was lurking on the moon. It’s hard to be completely creeped out when you’ve identified the bogeyman, you know? So, there’s a chance I might have rated higher had I been unprepared for finale. But I’m hesitant to put my lack of enthusiasm down to just that.I don’t disagree that third person was the right way to tell this story. But there was a wooden, simplistic tone to the writing that I found difficult to connect to. In addition, there’s a lot of foot-stamping and warming up before the real action begins and I found the first two thirds of the book, to put it bluntly, boring. On top of the writing not really holding my attention, I found myself getting distracted by questioning the logic and the decisions made. On the basis of the information that is revealed near the end, the reasoning for sending teenagers to the moon just doesn't stand up. I wanted to let go of nit-picking the premise, and just enjoy the ride, but there was too much belief required to be suspended for me to ignore. The final third of the novel really kicked the intensity up a notch, and the ending was deliciously chilling. Similarly the discussion and use of doppelgangers was a great concept, and I liked that Harstad left most of the questions unanswered. Often, the reader does the best job of scaring themselves, when left to fill in blanks themselves.I just wish I’d felt similarly engaged for the entirety of the book – but in truth I had to push myself to that point.