reynje

Wild Awake
Hilary T. Smith
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Bryan Peterson
Mad Love - Suzanne Selfors A Week in YA Kissing Books - Haiku Mini Review #3Cupid wearing blackWants his true story writtenDo I smell clam juice?Well this was… not really what I expected. I’ll freely admit that I picked this up because I was looking for brain-sugar. A pick-me up / temporary high after a mentally and emotionally gruelling week. I mean, look at that cover. I know I’m not supposed to judge, but doesn’t it shout “I AM FAIRY FLOSS!”, as if it’s so sweet it could rot your teeth? It’s about a girl that meets cupid, for crying out loud. Interestingly, it turned out to be the second book I read this week that dealt (albeit more lightly, in this case) with the relationship between mental illness and creativity. That’s not to say it’s not a light-hearted book, because it is. It’s a romantic comedy of sorts, that takes some liberties with the story of Cupid and Psyche, though not in the way you might expect. It’s a sweet, touching and ridiculous – and I mean that in the nicest possible way – story about romance novels and lovesickness and family. And clam juice. I like Selfor’s writing – it’s engaging and witty and it balances the whimsical content (it’s a story about a girl who’s writing a novel with the assistance of Cupid, after all - suspension of belief is required). Despite some of the cheesier moments, it’s also genuinely funny (tell me you don’t want to read a novel about a homicidal kitty called Death Cat) and quirky without being irritating.