reynje

Wild Awake
Hilary T. Smith
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Bryan Peterson

Junk Miles (Brenna Blixen, #2)

Junk Miles (Brenna Blixen, #2) - Liz Reinhardt A Week in YA Kissing Books - Haiku Mini Review #2Brenna kisses boysBrenna describes all her clothesWhere’s the fecking plot?I am not kidding around with that last line. (I take my haiku’s very seriously). I really feel that this book suffered from lack of a solid plot. Sure, events happen. But it doesn’t feel cohesive, structured, or well-paced. There’s no real climax (in one sense of the word, anyway, and yes that was a sex pun) and the storyline feels curiously flat and meandering. The love triangle begins to feel laboured, and less compelling than the first instalment. In a nutshell: Brenna makes out with Jake. Brenna goes to Paris. Brenna changes her mind. Brenna looks hot. Brenna makes out with Saxon. The minutiae of Brenna’s surroundings and outfits are described. Brenna looks hot. Brenna changes her mind. Brenna does some more making out. Brenna and Saxon have basically the same conversation over and over again. Saxon makes me want to punch him with his Madonna/Whore explanation. Brenna looks hot at not one but two proms. Brenna makes out with Jake. Jake feels that he needs to travel in order to keep up with the woman of the world that Brenna is. The End. Some of the content in this story feels superfluous and could have been whacked out with tighter editing or a more restrained hand with the writing. Ostensibly, the book is about Brenna taking charge of her decisions and experiences, but it reads like an excuse to draw out the tension between the three parties involved. It could have been an opportunity to feature Brenna’s development and growth as a character, but this aspect of the story felt oddly thin, and only explored at a surface level. If you’re invested in this triangle, then your experience will doubtless prove more enjoyable. If, like me, your commitment to the characters is tenuous at best, it’s not really a fulfilling experience. Additionally, the Brenna (good) vs “skanks” (bad) dichotomy that I objected to in the first book is only perpetuated here. Brenna, despite her mistakes and errors of judgement, appears to go through this book on some kind of pedestal of wish-fulfillment, and it made it difficult for me to relate to her, or to care about her boy troubles. Despite it not really being my kind of book, I do understand the appeal of Double Clutch and why so many people enjoyed it. I simply don’t feel that draw is as strong in Junk Miles.